Sunday, May 7, 2017

Quick catch up

I've been sewing, but it's been a little of this and a little of that. 

The bathing suit tankini took a lot more contemplation and a lot more testing and work than I anticipated. Getting an inner bra installed in something you're not sure where the bustline will be is a process. It was overall successful, but harrowing and difficult in my brain. I spent a lot of time mulling over what exactly would work. In the end, I eliminated their lining piece and did one of my own design, adding the bra cups where I felt they should be on my body. 



Sorry about the flannel pajama pants underneath the top! If you look closely, you can see that the bra area is not ideal, but it is certainly wearable. Sorry about the fuzzy picture of the pants. They work just fine, but as I'm peeling pounds away, I think they won't last for long.

I did make some decisions based on this muslin. I need to shorten the straps by about an inch. In the future, I'm not going to try to add the bra into the tankini top, but actually make a swim bra out of the same fabric (from my custom bra pattern) and just it combined with the tankini top. 

I have upped my Aqua Aerobics to three times a week, and hope to get in five times in the combing weeks. That will necessitate a few more suits as I go along. I'm thrilled that this program is really enhancing my range of motion, and ability to move. Every week I am able to do something with my body and my knees that I haven't been able to do in years. It's very exciting to get closer to "normal" physical status for me. 

Currently, I'm working on several things at once. I am adapting the Morris Blazer from Grainline Studios to my personal body, and a muslin will be coming out fairly soon. I have a tank top begun, but the serger has issues and so will be out for servicing starting tomorrow. I have some pajama pants laid out on the cutting board as I can do those without the serger. I'm also going to be working on a muslin for a sleeveless woven shirt. Just an old fashioned shirt with front buttons, back yoke, and regular collar. 

Our weather is a bit crazy right now, but overall warm and sunny. We did get a few drops of rain this week, but our temps are generally in the 75-85 degree range during the day. That necessitates sleeveless tops, tank tops, and knee length shorts to supplement the bathing suits. Also need more shorts, so those are percolating too. 

Hope things are going well in your sewing world! More later!

4 comments:

  1. Really nice job on a garment you will get lots of use from. Great idea to make a swim bra..gonna steal that one! Congrats on sticking with your aqua aerobics program. Still in the 50s here most days so the cover is still on the pool. Sigh. Guess i should make time for the treadmill while i wait for warmer days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the fact our temps have been in the 80s, our aqua exercise is done indoors in a warm water pool. Las Cruces has so many marvelous amenities! The Aquatic Center has several pools and a weight room. It's awesome and if you qualify as a "senior" it's a dollar per class. Awesome! My daughter is so impressed, she's going to join the YMCA in her area, where they also have an indoor pool for aqua aerobics. I don't like the treadmill as I find it boring. Perhaps if I could get one with a movie screen installed, I'd be more likely to use it, but probably not. Feel free to steal the idea. If you're not an accomplished at sewing bras, Craftsy has an excellent class by Beverly Johnson of Bra Makers Supply called Sewing Bras: Construction and fit. And I just looked and classes are $20 today! Score.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave lady, making this swim suit! Looks great, and you certainly thoughtfully figured out the technique you needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once saw a pattern for swimsuit but haven't had a chance to make it because of my busy schedule, now that I get a little bit off to work I think I can make it which is perfect timing for summer.

    ReplyDelete